Blueberries keep in the freezer so well and this sauce utilizes them straight from the cold coffer to create a sublime sauce with just a few ingredients in less than 15 minutes.
Blueberry Sauce makes about a cup
- 1 cup Blueberries, frozen or fresh
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup (agave syrup works also)
- Pinch Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Lemon Zest
- Place frozen blueberries and syrup in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally until the fruit starts to thicken slightly (about 5-7 minutes).
- Occasionally press the berries with the back of a wooden spoon to lightly crush them into a saucy consistency while they are cooking.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove from the heat and add just a pinch of salt and the lemon zest, stirring to combine.
- Sauce can be served warm or at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate any leftover sauce.
This sauce is delightful over pancakes, but don’t stop there! Try it over ice cream, to flavor a milkshake or to take a slice of cheesecake or a lemon bar dessert, for example, from ordinary to extraordinary!