This Irish Soda Bread recipe is super quick and easy even if you’ve never made a loaf of bread before! I made the recipe into muffins so that I could freeze what we didn’t eat and they turned out wonderful. If you’d rather make it into a loaf, simply pour the dough into a lightly greased loaf pan and increase the bake time to 20-25 minutes. These crunchy yet tender morsels are so delicious on their own with a schmear of butter and jam for breakfast, but also serve as a perfect accompaniment to a hearty vegetable stew or one of our mouthwatering soups. This recipe utilizes my special All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend which you will find at the bottom of the Soda Bread recipe. The blend can be used to substitute AP regular flour in any recipe- pancakes, biscuits, cakes, waffles, quick breads, muffins! Give it a try and let us know in a comment on our website how it turned out for you! We would love your feedback!
Adrienne’s Irish Soda Bread (makes about 9 muffins)
- 2 cups Adrienne’s GF Baking Mix
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- Pinch Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 lg Egg, beaten
- 2 oz cold salted Butter
- ¾ cup dried Currants (optional)
- 1 tbsp Caraway Seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the first five ingredients.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or by using two forks until it combines with the dry ingredients and starts to come together the size of small peas. You can also do this step in a food processor by pulsing the blades until you reach the desired texture, just don’t over process the dough.
- Mix buttermilk and egg together then add to the dry mixture.
- Fold in currants and caraway seeds if using.
- Lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and fill each well ¾ full with the dough.
- Bake 15-18 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the tins and allow to cool on a rack 15 minutes before enjoying.
Adrienne’s Gluten Free Baking Mix
- 1 ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ⅔ cup tapioca flour
- ⅓ cup sorghum
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
Mix together well and store in an airtight container.