You’ve heard it before and you’ll hear it again: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Break the fast of a (hopefully) good night’s rest with a hearty meal. Even if you’re on the run like most of us during the workweek, this sammie can tag along without a fuss and give you just the kick you need to start off a great day. Go get ‘em, tiger!
Makes 1 sandwich
- 2 slices of Seeded bread, toasted (any flavor would do just fine, but the seeded adds extra crunch and fiber)
- 1 tablespoon butter or Duke’s mayonnaise (optional)
- 2 slices Canadian bacon, set in a hot skillet just to warm thoroughly
- 1 or 2 eggs, fried or scrambled to your liking
- 1 slice cheddar cheese, or your favorite (optional)
- 1 piece green leaf lettuce, if desired
- 2-3 slices Roma tomato, if desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lay your toast onto a food-safe surface and spread each piece with butter or mayonnaise (if using).
- Top one side of the toast with the Canadian bacon, then lay on the eggs and cheese.
- Finish layering the sandwich with the lettuce and tomato, if using, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place the other piece of toast on top and enjoy or wrap in sandwich paper to eat later.
NotesJust like any sandwich, there are a myriad of alternatives to creating a great breakfast sandwich! Here are just a few examples:
- Use cooked bacon, turkey bacon, sausage patties, fried bologna, mortadella, or prosciutto instead of Canadian bacon.
- Fried tofu works great as an egg substitute.
- Try arugula or spinach on your sandwich instead of green leaf lettuce—excellent on any sandwich!
- Sun-dried tomatoes or slivers of roasted red pepper can be used instead of fresh tomato.
Serving Size: 1 sandwich Servings Per Recipe: 1
Calories: 490 Calories from Fat: 280
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 31g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 30g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.