Hamburgers, Tomatoes & Cheese
Eric's mother, Shirley (or Shirl the Girl, as she is also lovingly called), has made this simple comfort meal for her family for many years. Eric makes HTC (always served with rice) for the two of us now and it's still a favorite with the simple conversion he made by substituting our Flaxseed Oat Breadfor the white bread her original recipe called for. You will find that our breads are an easy and oh-so-delicious way to turn most "old-school" recipes into gluten-free versions of your favorite standards and go-to recipes! No gluten, no regrets!
Hamburgers, Tomatoes & Cheese (HTC) serves 4 people
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 c Diced Onion
- 1⁄4 c Diced Red Bell Peppers
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 t Salt, or more to taste
- 1 t Pepper, or more to taste
- 1 t Garlic Powder
- 1 t Dried Thyme
- 1 t Dried Oregano
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3 slices Éban’s GF Flaxseed Oat Bread, finely ground to crumbs (about 1cup)
- 28 oz can Whole, Peeled Tomatoes with juice
- 1 1⁄2- 2 c Shredded Colby or Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 c Hot, Cooked Rice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Heat oil in skillet on medium-high heat and sweat onions and peppers til soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, sautéed vegetables, seasonings, egg and breadcrumbs until well combined.
- Form into four patties then sear in the same skillet to brown on both sides.
- Remove patties from skillet to an oven proof casserole dish then place a couple of tomatoes on each patty, slightly crushing the tomatoes with your hand.
- Pour all the juice and remaining slightly crushed tomatoes over the entire dish then bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add equal portions of the shredded cheese piled high onto each patty and return to oven to melt (about 15 minutes).
- Serve over hot rice.