Popular years ago, Icebox Cakes are a quick and easy dessert that require no baking and are kept in the refrigerator, once called an Ice Box in the 1930s when the first refrigerators were chilled using large blocks of ice inside an insulated box to keep perishables cold before the invention of electric, Freon cooled refrigerators. These tasty no-bakes are making a comeback! Typically made with graham crackers, we are making a delicious substitution in our Lemon Icebox Cake recipe by utilizing our Crispy Pecan Shortbread Cookies for the “cake” layer in this super simple, delightful, lemony dessert that’s just perfect for any occasion- from a special Mother’s Day celebration to afternoon tea on the porch on a warm, sunny day. This dessert is best made at least one day in advance to allow the cookie layers to soften and absorb all the lemony flavor of the light and fluffy cream cheese layers. The lemon curd topping (we used Bonne Maman brand) gives it any extra citrusy punch that tastes like sunshine on a fork.
Lemon Pecan Shortbread Icebox Cake
Makes 6-8 servings
Ingredients for Filling
- 1-8oz Cream Cheese, softened
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar, divided
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lemon (about 2 oz)
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 6-7 Éban’s Bakehouse Crispy Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients for Topping
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4-5 Tbsp Lemon Curd
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the softened cream cheese and ¼ cup of the powdered sugar until very smooth.
- Add lemon zest and juice and beat until blended, set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the 1 cup of whipping cream with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining ¼ cup of powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and gently mix until just combined.
- In a bread loaf pan, lightly sprayed with cooking spray, place two pecan shortbread cookies on the bottom of the pan. If you choose, you can cut up another cookie into smaller pieces to fill in the gaps as you form the layers.
- Spread ⅓ of the lemon cream cheese/whipped cream mixture over the cookies.
- Repeat layering cookies and the cream cheese mixture two more times, forming 3 layers until all the cream cheese mixture has been used.
- Beat the last ½ cup of heavy cream with the 2 Tbsp powdered sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form then spread evenly over the top of the layered cake.
- Gently spoon the lemon curd over the whipped cream and smooth the surface being careful not to smear the whipped cream.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the edges, then cut slices of the Icebox cake and carefully lift out with an offset spatula onto a dessert plate. Garnish with a thin slice of fresh lemon and enjoy while cold.