Garlic. We love it! Calorie for calorie, garlic is incredibly nutritious. Garlic boosts immune systems, its active compounds can reduce blood pressure, improve cholesterol levels, ward off vampires, among many other health benefits. As chefs, garlic has always played an integral role in our diet and in our cooking! Amber, our Social Media Guru, has found the best and most convenient way to incorporate garlic into her daily diet is by keeping a jar of homemade roasted garlic puree in her fridge. Having this flavor-packed condiment at the ready makes light work of whipping up salad dressings, marinades or to simply slather over a piece of Éban’s Bakehouse toast to go with Sunday supper!
Here is Amber’s recipe for Roasted Garlic Purée
- 1 whole bulb of Garlic (or more if you want to make a big batch)
- Cooking Spray
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a sheet pan lined with tin foil in the oven to heat it up.
- Peel the cloves of a whole head of garlic (or simply buy the kind that is already peeled for you).
- When the oven reaches temperature, spray foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray and spread garlic out in a single layer. Spray the garlic with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Roast garlic until cooked through and deep golden brown (there’s flavor in the brown!) usually around 15 minutes or when the kitchen smells so fragrant you think you’ve been transported to Tuscany.
- Place the garlic in a food processor and blend, adding small amounts of olive oil until you reach desired consistency for puree
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and use as needed for recipes.