It may not be traditionally Irish, but when your mouth waters for a meaty, cheesy, saucy, crunchy Reuben sandwich, don’t ya feel as lucky as a leprechaun to be enjoying a good one? Our Flaxseed Oat bread delivers the pot of gold at the end of the Reuben rainbow as it griddles up buttery and golden, and holds up without crumbling under the weight of all that deliciousness within.
Makes 1 sandwich
- 2 slices Flaxseed Oat bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 3-5 oz corned beef (or more if you like), thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing (or for a very flavorful southern twist, try our Southern Come Back Sauce instead!)
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with the softened butter and gently place in the hot skillet, butter side down (you should hear it sizzling).
- Add a slice of cheese to each slice of bread, then top one side with the corned beef and the other with the sauerkraut.
- Cover the skillet to let the meat, cheese and kraut get all warm and gooey for a minute or two, then remove the cover.
- Carefully check the underside of the bread to see if it is crisping and golden brown (takes about 3-5 minutes).
- Drizzle the dressing (or the Southern Come Back Sauce if using) on one side of the bread then carefully top it with the other side to complete the sandwich.
- Remove from the skillet onto a plate, slice in half and enjoy!
- Southern Come Back Sauce is so tangy and delicious, you may want to have a little extra in a dish to dip your sandwich into as you take bites.
- You can substitute olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, mayonnaise, or vegan spread for the butter if you prefer.
- I absolutely love my quick and easy-to-make coleslaw in place of sauerkraut on occasion, especially if I substitute pastrami for the corned beef.
Serving Size: 1 sandwich (298g) Servings Per Recipe: 1
Calories: 780 Calories from Fat: 510
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 57g||88%|
|Saturated Fat 21g||105%|
|Trans Fat 1.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 36g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Contains: Milk, Egg