January is National Hot Tea month which seems appropriate when winter's icy chill permeates the pores. A mug of something steaming hot with hints of citrus, rum and warming spices stirred in is just the thing to soothe the senses from the inside out!
My version of Hot Buttered Rum combines elements of a hot toddy with the classic hot buttered rum concoction by using brewed spiced orange tea (instead of the usual apple cider or hot water) with spiced rum and a tablespoon or so of spiced butter often called a "batter" as the finishing touch.
Hot Buttered Rum
Ingredients for Spiced Butter
- 4 oz (1 stick) Salted Butter, softened
- 2/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp Star Anise (about a 1/2 a cluster, ground or crushed with a mortar and pestle to a fine powder); ground allspice or clove can be substitued if you cannot find star anise.
- Mix all ingredients with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until well incorporated and smooth.
- Transfer the butter to a sheet of waxed paper or cling wrap and wrap up tightly into a log, twisting the ends shut.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use. Keeps for at least 3 weeks refrigerated.
Ingredients for One Hot Buttered Rum drink
- 8 oz cup brewed Orange Spice Tea (I love Constant Comment, also available in decaf!)
- 2 oz Spiced Rum
- 1 Tbsp Honey (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Spiced Butter
- 1 slice Orange or Lemon (optional)
- Pour the rum and honey into the piping hot cup of brewed tea.
- Add the spiced butter and stir to melt the butter.
- Garnish with the orange or lemon slice if using.
- Sip responsibly and enjoy!
Note: The spiced butter can be made well in advance and keeps for several weeks in the fridge. I love this butter! The star anise gives it a wonderful aroma that reminds me of Glühwein and seasonal baked goods from Germany. Not just for hot buttered rum, try spreading a nice schmear of this delightful butter over top a slice of any of our gf breads toasted to a lovely golden brown~yum!