This white clam sauce is a really quick and easy meal. It takes as long to make the dish as it takes to cook the pasta. If you are a clam lover, it's a great summer dinner option. We like to serve this dish with Flaxseed Oat garlic toast.
Makes 8 servings
Linguini with White Clam Sauce Ingredients
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 lb gluten free spaghetti or linguine
- 2 lb small littleneck clams (5 to 6 dozen), scrubbed well
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally until garlic is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir in wine and clam juice and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Cook pasta in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain in a colander, saving about ½ cup of pasta water. Remember to taste your pasta water before you cook your pasta because bland water = bland pasta!
- While pasta is cooking, stir littleneck clams into sauce and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until clams open wide, 4 to 6 minutes. (Discard any clams that have not opened after 6 minutes.)
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted.
- Add pasta to clams along with parsley, pasta water, then toss with sauce until combined well. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes just before serving. Adjust seasonings and serve at once.
Serving Size: 1 portion Servings Per Recipe: 8
Calories: 690 Calories from Fat: 180
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 4.5g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 102g||34%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Flaxseed Oat Garlic Toast Ingredients
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 12 slices Flaxseed Oat bread
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Cut each slice in half.
- Place unbuttered side down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.