This hot chocolate treat is for the adult kids as it is spiked with rum and Kahlua to create a rich, perfectly sweet, warming cup of cocoa with a kick. It’s especially nice enjoyed by a cozy fire. The addition of cayenne pepper is my favorite part of this combination as it goes so well with chocolate and livens up the taste buds.
Spiked Hot Chocolate (makes 1 large mug about 16 oz)
- 2 packets Hot Cocoa Mix (I use a No-Sugar Added mix)
- Hot Water (or milk if you prefer) measured according to packet directions
- 1 oz Kahlua or other coffee flavored liqueur
- 2 oz Rum (I used Sailor Jerry’s Spiced Rum)
- dash Cinnamon, Cayenne Pepper and Nutmeg (optional)
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Chocolate Sprinkles or Chocolate Shavings (optional)
- Empty the two packets of hot cocoa mix into a large mug (16oz is perfect).
- Pour hot water (or milk) over the coca mix and stir until cocoa mix is completely dissolved.
- Add coffee liqueur and rum along with the spices (if using) and stir to blend.
- Top the spiked cocoa with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles or shavings and enjoy responsibly.