Fall may be my favorite season of the year. When the leaves start to change and you wake up to frost on the ground, leaves rustling, and the smell of a fireplace lingering in the morning air- it's a wonderful time of the year. Time for making apple butter, fruitcakes, hearty stews, and belly-warming soups.
Pie Pumpkin squash is great for this soup but any firm, meaty winter squash, such as butternut, acorn, and cushaw will work just fine. I especially like cushaw, a striped crookneck winter squash, which is very hearty and will keep in a cool pantry all winter and sometimes until the next harvest if it is stored correctly.
So on a crisp fall day put a pot of this on the stove and enjoy a delicious soup for dinner with a nice salad of bitter greens topped with Parmesan Seeded Bread Croutons and your favorite dressing. The croutons are a great crunchy topper for the soup too, if you want to skip the salad! Enjoy! -Eric
Makes 20 servings
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 Leeks, sliced and rinsed
- 2 stalks Celery, diced
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 8 cups 1-inch cubes fresh Pumpkin or other Winter Squash
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh Sage
- 2 quarts Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Heavy Cream or Half and Half
- Crème Fraîche or Sour Cream for garnish
- Fresh Chives
- In a large soup pot melt butter and sauté garlic, leeks, celery, and onions until soft.
- Add pumpkin, bay leaves, thyme, sage, chicken stock, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until veggies are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and puree the soup.
- Adjust seasonings as needed and serve steaming hot.
- Garnish with a dollop of crème fraîche and a few snipped chives if desired.
Parmesan Seeded Bread Croutons Ingredients
- 5 tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh Oregano, chopped (0r 1 tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh Thyme, chopped (or ⅛ tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 5 slices Seeded Bread cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix butter, Parmesan cheese, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and salt together in a large bowl; add bread cubes and turn with a spatula to coat. Spread coated bread cubes onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm on Bisque.
Note: Cool croutons completely before storing in an airtight container.