The classic Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich may be one of the finest ensembles layered between two slices of bread ever invented. It's one of the simple joys of summer- slicing into a sun-kissed, juicy tomato just plucked from the vine in your own backyard, cozied up with smoky, decadent bacon, crisp lettuce and a healthy schmear of mayonnaise on golden-toasted bread.
Well, when summer feels as far off as a Tahitian bungalow, here is a dish that will feel like you're lunching on the veranda in your best sundress as it incorporates all the elements of the BLT, but lightens it up into more of a deconstructed BLT in salad form! It is possible to find decent tomatoes in winter (hothouse most likely), but even those greenhouse-grown crimson 'maters will add to the flavor of summer in this lively little tribute to the BLT. I'm using Éban's Bread made into crunchy croutons to replace the toast and setting the whole delicious mash-up into an avocado 'dish' for an additional nutritional boost of rich yet healthy unsaturated fats. Hope you enjoy! ~Adrienne
BLT in an Avocado serves 1
- 1 slice Éban's Oat Bread (Flax, Seeded or Multigrain also work!)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- to taste, Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 slices Bacon, cooked crisp, chopped
- 3 leaves Romaine Lettuce, washed and dried
- 1/2 lg Roma Tomato, diced
- 1-2 T Mayonnaise
- 1 ea Green Onion, thinly sliced (white and green parts), optional
- 1 mini Avocado (or half a large), sliced in half
- Cube the slice of bread into small cubes then toss gently in the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and Italian seasoning.
- In a skillet set on medium-high heat, toast the seasoned bread cubes, moving them around the pan often until they are golden brown and crispy (about 5 minutes). Allow to cool while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Dice 2 leaves of the romaine and place into a bowl. Reserve the 3rd leaf of romaine for a base for the salad.
- To the bowl with the chopped lettuce, add the diced tomato, green onion, bacon, mayonnaise and croutons. Stir gently until the mayonnaise is well incorporated with the other ingredients.
- On a plate, place the reserved whole romaine leaf in the center. Set the two halves of the mini avocado (or one large half) on the romaine leaf then top the avocado with the salad and enjoy immediately.