Croutons are a simple, practical and tasty way to use up extra bread or a loaf that’s starting to dry out. And being gluten-free doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a crunchy, buttery, flavor bomb in your salad along with everyone else. Our Flaxseed Oat bread is a perfect choice for making homemade croutons as a salad or soup topper for its great texture, flavor and added nutritional Omega 3 boost from all those flaxseeds and flaxmeal. Croutons can be flavored with just about any herb blend or spice-just follow your taste buds! Italian herb blend is a constant favorite, Everything But the Bagel seasoning is a sure win, Mexican spices go great on croutons to top a steaming bowl of chili- you get the idea!
Herbes de Provence is one of my favorite herb blends. I make my own with herbs I grow, dry and store in containers. I love Herbes de Provence not just for croutons, but for seasoning lamb chops, sprinkling on popcorn, roasted potatoes, eggs and so much more. With just a hint of lavender along with an all-star assortment of other herbs and spices like dried basil, savory and fennel seed, it really adds depth and complexity to so many dishes. You can find this earthy, fragrant blend in most grocery stores, just make sure it contains lavender- in my opinion, it is one of the essential ingredients to the blend’s lovely flavor profile. -Adrienne
Gluten-Free Croutons makes about 3 cups
- 8 slices Eban’s Bakehouse Flaxseed Oat Bread
- 2-3 T Olive Oil or melted Butter
- 2 T Herbes de Provence blend or Herb/Spice blend of your choice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut slices of Éban’s Bakehouse Flaxseed Oat Bread into about 1” squares and place into a large mixin0g bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil or butter and herbs and toss gently to coat thoroughly, adding more oil if needed to generously coat each crouton.
- Place croutons on a baking sheet in a single layer, season with salt and pepper and bake until golden brown and crunchy, about 12-14 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container (preferably glass) until ready to use.
- Will keep for several days when properly contained.