Eric and I both come from families that love to cook. We have shared and collected recipes from every member of our families and this recipe for a healthy kale version of Caesar Salad comes from my sister, Laura, who has made it for her family for years and has happily agreed to share the recipe with you. I’m not a huge fan of kale, except for Lacinato kale. It’s got a milder flavor than its curly-leafed cousins, and a lighter, softer texture that lends itself well to salads and slaws where the other varieties are better suited to dishes that are cooked.
Laura’s dear friend, Vicky gave her the recipe for this most excellent Caesar Dressing many years ago when they would spend time together after work playing cards, drinking Tab, smoking too many cigarettes, laughing a lot and cooking for each other. And if the condition of the hand-written recipe isn’t proof positive of a much-loved recipe, I don’t know what else is! It takes a little extra effort to make your own dressings, but it’s so worth it! We hope you’ll give it a try and that you’ll like this twist on the classic Caesar with the substitution of kale for romaine lettuce as much as we do!
Kale Caesar Salad serves 6-8
Ingredients for Dressing
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 lg clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Anchovy Paste (available at most grocery stores, or the equivalent of oil-packed anchovies, minced to a paste)
- ¼ tsp Dry Mustard
- ¼ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 T White Wine Vinegar
- 2 T Lemon Juice
- 2 Egg Yolks, heavily whisked until they start to thicken
- ½ c Olive Oil
- Add all ingredients, except the olive oil, into a large wooden bowl and whisk vigorously.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while continually whisking until the dressing “accepts” all the oil and becomes smooth and creamy
Ingredients for Salad
- 2-3 bunches of Lacinato Kale, stems removed, washed, rinsed and chopped
- 1 c shaved Parmesan Reggiano Cheese
- 2 c Gluten-Free Croutons (or more if you desire)
- Caesar Dressing
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- Toss kale, Parmesan cheese, Croutons and dressing together in large wooden bowl until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with extra cheese, croutons and freshly ground pepper for those who may want more.